Closing Date:11/18/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region
We need the best and brightest talent focused on Sub-Saharan African countries in order to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. Africa is a continent on the move, with a young population and a growing market of nearly 1.2bn people. We are committed to making the Africa regional teams into leading innovation hubs.
Yet, these vast opportunities are tempered by persistent gaps in education, health, and skills, which have Africa only reaching forty percent of its estimated potential. Moreover, conflict, food insecurity, population growth, and the disruptive forces of climate change threaten to curtail or even reverse the progress that has been made over the past decades.
In West and Central Africa, the World Bank is a leading partner with a growing portfolio of 387 projects totaling more than $44.1 billion in areas such as agriculture, trade and transport, energy, education, health, water and sanitation- all to support job creation, gender equality, poverty reduction, and better lives. Across the continent, the World Bank’s program has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. By 2030, about 87% of the world’s extreme poor are projected to live in Sub-Saharan Africa, so this is where our mission to end extreme poverty and to promote shared prosperity will be achieved.
Are you ready to make an impact? We are looking for dedicated professionals to join our innovative and diverse team to improve people’s lives and help countries build back better after COVID.
• During project preparation: Screen potential Environmental and Social (E&S) risks & impacts; Determine the appropriate risk classification; Prepare Concept Environmental and Social Review Summary (ESRS); Conduct thorough assessment of E&S risks & impacts; Review E&S documents available prior to Appraisal; and Prepare Appraisal ESRS.
• During project implementation: Supervise project compliance with the Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) and Safeguard Policies as provided in the environmental and social assessment documents and management plans. Participate in project technical discussions and field visits. Review project reports and build effective working relationships with the project implementation agency to ensure proper implementation of the ESF.
• During both preparation and implementation: Go beyond narrow policy compliance to look for opportunities to support clients in achieving the project development goals. Work closely with the project task team and the social development specialist to ensure that projects are implemented in an environmentally and socially sustainable manner.
• Capacity building: Enhance the Client’s capacity to manage environmental and social risks and impacts of projects. Provide training to i) Environment Specialists of various World Bank funded project implementation agency and ii) staff of the line ministries.
• Provide support in the implementation of ENB operations in Nigeria including: Day-to-day follow up on project implementation; review procurement plans and TORs submitted by the client to ensure alignment with the project objectives and consistency with World Bank fiduciary policies; participate in implementation support missions under the guidance of the Task Team Leader and follow up on project progress; elaborate mission aide-memoires and ensure timely execution of missions' action plans.
• Master’s degree or equivalent in engineering, environmental science, natural resource management, Geography, or a related field from a recognized university
• 5+ years of proven, relevant professional experience including environmental risk management (safeguards) and project management,
• Strong knowledge of environmental and climate issues in Nigeria
• Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally related data and information
• Familiarity with the World Bank Group’s organizational structure, its Policies, and procedures; experience working on World Bank Group projects is preferred
• Knowledge of Bank Environmental and Social Standards is preferred
• Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries; ability to function independently, with a high degree of motivation, flexibility, and reliability.
• Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English and French to deliver information effectively in support of team or workgroup.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.