cDiscussion.com, première plateforme d'offres d'emploi en Afrique de l'Ouest
Se Connecter / S'inscrire
Se Connecter / S'inscrire
08/10/2019 à 19h02min35s
Bac + 5 ou plus
10 ans ou plus
External Publication of Job Posting 50695985
Job Posting Title :
Start Date :
End Date :
Reference Code :
30004824 / 03
Job Title :
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
The Pan African University (PAU) is a continental academic and research institution created by the African
Union, that is based on the following guiding principles: academic freedom, autonomy, accountability, quality
assurance, strengthening existing African institutions at the graduate and post-graduate levels to enable them to
serve the whole continent, excellence and international partnerships in academic and research activities, gender
parity and equality at all levels and in all university functions.
In order to contribute to the emergence and strengthening of an African higher education and research platform,
the PAU consists of five (5) thematic Institutes hosted by existing institutions located in the five geographic
regions of the African Union, namely:
i. Life and Earth Sciences (including Health and Agriculture) located at University of Ibadan in Nigeria for
ii. Basic Sciences, Technology and Innovation located at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and
Technology (JKUAT) in Kenya for Eastern Africa
iii. Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences located at University of Yaoundé II in Cameroon for
iv. Water and Energy Sciences (including climate change) located at University of Tlemcen in Algeria for
North Africa, and
v. Space Sciences located at University of Cape Town in South Africa for Southern Africa.
The PAU also aims at the promotion of African integration through the mobility of students, academic and
administrative staff, collaborative research linked to the challenges faced by African countries, the institution of
an appropriate framework to enable the African Diaspora to contribute towards the development of higher
education and research in Africa, promotion of inter-disciplinary and multidisciplinary research programmes
linked to policy making processes, promotion of productive linkages with the industrial sector for innovation and
dissemination of new knowledge, full use of Information and Communication Technologies for pedagogy,
research and management. The PAU takes into account the basic principles of the United Nations Charter and
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
In seeking to achieve the PAU mandate and objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to
deliver, by amongst others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of all vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to apply for the
position of Rector within Pan African University Institutes (PAU) in Yaoundé, Cameroun.
Post title: RECTOR
Post level: D1
Department: Human Resources, Science and Technology
Supervisor: Commissioner HRST
Duty Station: Yaoundé, Cameroun
Number of Position: 1
2. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
This is the position of the Chief Executive and chief academic Officer of the Pan African University’s
Management structure and shall exercise general superintendence and control over the university. The holder
of this position will be responsible for formulating and implementing appropriate operating policies and decisions
related to the establishment of the PAU, and in accordance with the PAU strategic plan. He /she shall be
responsible for implementing innovative programs and adopt new cutting-edge technologies for the University,
to make it globally competitive. He/she shall be responsible for developing and maintaining mutually beneficial
relationships with, educational, research, governmental, business, industrial, professional, social, civil society
and cultural institutions regionally and internationally. The PAU Rector will be supported in his/her functions by
Vice Rector (Research, Development and Cooperation) and other staff.
i. Representing the University in all forums as its Chief Executive;
ii. Facilitate the signing of MOUs with Host Universities, Host Countries, and Lead Thematic Partners and
African Union Commission;
iii. Concluding agreements, contracts or other arrangements between the PAU and other competent
bodies for pedagogic, research, management and funding purposes with the approval of the PAU Council;
iv. Coordinate the development of a corporate plan for the operationalization of the PAU and ensure it is
translated into appropriate, and realistic goals and objectives that are delivered harmoniously and successfully;
v. Prepare and present the PAU annual activity report to the PAU council;
vi. Ensure the implementation of the decisions of the African Union Summit of Heads of State and
Government with regard to PAU;
vii. Facilitate the required co-ordination between Directors of PAU Institutes and Coordinators of
Programme Departments and Centers;
viii. Coordinate the selection of the PAU Satellites centers;
ix. Liaison with the African Union Commission, Vice chancellors of Host Institutions, and Lead Thematic
x. Managing the personnel of the PAU;
xi. Coordinate the establishment of Rectorate and recruitment of Rectorate staff;
xii. Coordinate the student recruitment process, award of scholarships, and smooth relocation to respective
xiii. Ensure the recruitment of academic staff for PAU Institutes;
xiv. Provide oversight for all PAU academic programs;
xv. Ensuring the implementation and the periodic monitoring of the PAU's multi-annual strategic
development plan as approved by the PAU Council
xvi. Performing all other functions as are necessary for the proper administration, smooth operation and
development of the PAU.
3. Required Skills and Competencies
• Highly conversant in the cultures and changing landscapes of higher education internationally;
• Working knowledge of policy analysis and development and programme/project management,
implementation and monitoring;
• Strong background of research and publications, a prominent profile in the relevant academic
community and a proven record of effective leadership and management experience at a senior level in an
• Successful track record of fund-raising for international projects.
• Uses strong managerial and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives;
• Engages in effective delegation and follow up to ensure results;
• Uses tact and political savvy in negotiating;
• Makes informed decisions and communicates decisions effectively;
• Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to collaborate with others to achieve outcomes;
• Utilizes strong analytical and problem solving skills.
Respect for Diversity
• Works effectively with people from various backgrounds;
• Treats all people with dignity and respect. Treats men and women equally;
• Shows respect and understanding of diverse points of view and demonstrates it in decision-making;
• Examines own biases and behaviors to avoid stereotypical responses and does not discriminate against
any individual or group;
• Creates an environment where respect for diversity is embedded in behaviors, systems and processes;
• Performs and relates effectively across organizational boundaries in a diverse multi-national and
Working with Others
• Collaborates effectively with top level stakeholders i.e. the Commission and Senior Management Group.
Able to persuade, guide and advise top level stakeholders;
• Able to effectively collaborate with stakeholders and partners;
• Leads discussions and negotiations on behalf of the Commission on human resources issues;
• Creates a culture where knowledge sharing and effective collaboration is encouraged;
• Creates conducive environment for Students and teachers.
Vision and Strategic Thinking
• Identifies key strategic issues, opportunities and risks;
• Clearly communicates links between the organization's strategy and the Directorate’s goals;
• Establishes/identifies and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction;
• Identifies clients' needs and appropriate solutions;
• Establishes and maintains productive partnerships.
• Communicates orally with strong interpersonal skills;
• Expresses ideas and formulates plans by means of clear and effective writing and oral presentations;
• Drafts conceptual and detailed reports/papers and reviews/edits the work of others;
• Prepares rationale with respect to key financial and administrative decisions;
• Negotiates effectively.
• Leads and gains the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor;
• Builds trust through integrity, transparency and creating an open and positive environment;
• Fosters harmonious and effective teamwork in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity
and respect for diversity.
• Keeps abreast of available technology and understands its applicability to the work of the Organization;
• Actively seeks, identifies and applies appropriate technology to improve programme delivery.
• Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority;
• Establishes clear roles and reporting lines for staff;
• Monitors progress against establish milestones;
• Discuss performance and provide feedback and appraise performance fairly.
1. Qualifications and Work Experience required
PhD and a full professor of a recognized University, with ten (10) years of experience in one of the thematic
fields of the PAU of which eight (8) years should have been at a senior academic management position in a
Having held the administrative positions of vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice Chancellor, Registrar, or Dean within a
university will be an added advantage.
Have at least two years of work experience in continental or international organizations
Have recognition from peers (be a recipient of at least one award from national/continental/ body or professional
association or research/development organization) for outstanding academic leadership or research/
2. Language Requirement:
Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese);
knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
3. Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
months will be considered a probationary period. Thereafter the contract shall be renewable every two years
subject to good performance and deliverables.
4. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
5. Least Representative Countries
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola ,Cape
Verde ,Central African Rep. ,Comoros ,Congo (DRC) ,Egypt ,Equatorial Guinea ,Eritrea ,Eswatini ,Ghana ,
Guinea ,Libya ,Madagascar ,Mali ,Morocco ,Namibia ,Saharawi Arab D.R. , Sao Tome and Principe ,
Seychelles ,Somalia ,South Africa and South Sudan.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (PD Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 48% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 21,832.68 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org no later than
4 November 2019.
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
4. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
5. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Regular (Long Duration)
PAU Yaoundé, Cameroon
Niveau d'études :
Technical Director l SHARP l
Niveau d'études :
Supply Chain Director l Strengthening Supply Chain Systems Technical Assistance Activity
Niveau d'études :
Supervisor Systems & Messaging
: MTN Carrières
Niveau d'études :
Bac + 4
Voir plus d'offres d'emploi
Cliquez ici pour vous connecter à votre compte ou créer un compte dans la CVthèque. Vous pourrez être contacté(e) par des recruteurs pour des postes ou des missions de consultants. Aussi, vous recevrez chaque jour des offres d'emploi. C'est gratuit.