cDiscussion.com, première plateforme d'offres d'emploi en Afrique de l'Ouest
Se Connecter / S'inscrire
Se Connecter / S'inscrire
HEAD OF DIVISION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
08/10/2019 à 18h00min31s
Bac + 3
Addis Ababa, Ethiopie
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, ...), Projet/programme de développement
External Publication of Job Posting 50696449
Job Posting Title :
HEAD OF DIVISION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Start Date :
End Date :
Reference Code :
10001521 - 03
Job Title :
HEAD OF DIVISION, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its human resources on filling in
all its vacant posts. Thus the Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member
States for the post of Head of Division Science and Technology within the Department of Human Resources,
Science and Technology.
The Department encourages and provides technical support to Member States in the implementation of policies
and programmes in its fields. The Division’s role is to ensure coordination and promotion of AU programmes on
Science, Technology and Innovation. Key attributes include: promoting research, development and publications
on Science, Technology and Innovation; establishing and promoting pan-African Science, Technology and
Innovation institutions; while promoting cooperation among Member States for the integration of the continent.
In this pursuit, the Department has established two Specialized Technical Offices: (1) Scientific and Technical
Research Commission (STRC) and (2) African Observatory of Science, Technology and Innovation (AOSTI).
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to apply for the
position of Head of Division Science and Technology within the Department of Human Resources, Science and
Technology in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job title: Head of Division Science and Technology
Post level: P5
Department: Human Resources, Science and Technology (HRST)
Supervisor: Director – Human Resources, Science and Technology
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Number of Position: 1
2- Job Purpose:
This is a managerial position within the Department Human Resources, Science and Technology. Under the
direct supervision of the Director, HRST, the incumbent will provide technical, administrative and programmatic
leadership for the African Union Science Technology and Innovation programme. She/he will be required to
respond quickly and effectively to requests from Executives and Member States for the provision of advice,
briefings, media statements and monitoring and reporting on mandates of Science, technology and Innovation
Ministers. She/he will lead the coordination, organization of meetings, workshops and training seminars
including preparation of related background papers and materials. She/he will develop and deliver on work
programs, budgets and prepare periodic reports and staff periodic evaluation according to requirements.
1- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director, Human Resources, Science and Technology, the
incumbent will perform the following tasks:
• Ensure overall planning, development, implementation, coordination, setting standards, assessment,
and administration of all the S&T Division programs;
• Leadership and accountability for the administration, development, assessment and improvement of
staff within the Division and Support capacity development and mentoring of STI staff;
• Formulation of appropriate policies and plans of action and development of programs, project
proposals, policies and strategies at continental level relating to Science Technology and Innovation;
• Provision of technical support and advice to Member States in the implementation of STI policies;
• Commissioning research, relevant studies and policy analysis in the field of STI, particularly with
regards to policies and programs of Member States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), and other
regional specialized institutions in order to identify areas of intervention;
• Coordination and fostering African common position on STI within the multilateral systems as well as
with third parties and assisting in facilitating and promoting consensus building on STI policy harmonization
related to continental integration and development;
• Provide effective advocacy and popularization of the activities of the Department to partner
organizations and potential donors as well as developing project concepts and proposals for funding by donors,
participating in resource mobilization activities of the Department and preparing project implementation Reports
in accordance with donor requirements;
• Lead and coordinate servicing of continental technical meetings, conferences and workshops on STI
and STI-related issues including preparation of background documents and reporting related results;
• Undertaking Missions and representing the Commission on high profile STI conferences and producing
inherent reports on activities and specific missions;
• Leading the Division in contributing to flagship publications on STI issues as well as to reports of the
Commission on issues of STI;
• Oversee the work of African Union Technical Agencies in the areas of STI, ensuring internal coherence
and adherence to continental policies;
• Spearhead the development of institutional linkages and policy mechanisms to promote regional
collaboration and integration in the areas of STI;
• Liaise with other African Union Commission Departments to encourage harmonization and quality
assurance of all programme activities in STI and research;
• Provide policy support to strengthen alignment of regional STI protocols;
• Promote knowledge and research networks on STI in Africa;
• Promote intra-African and international cooperation in the area of STI for mutual benefit, while ensuring
a strong African position;
• Provide advice to Member States on realization of their continental and global commitments in STI, and
• Ensure the production and submission of periodic reports on the activities of the Division;
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Supervisor
2- Required Skills and Competencies
A. Functional Skills
• Strong computer skills, including use of software relating database management, research analysis,
proficiency with spreadsheet and database applications as well as word processing, presentation programs and
• Strong liaison skills and will work closely with Member States, RECs, agencies, and counterparts from
• Good understanding and competence with bureaucratic processes and writing skills and ability to lead
the drafting of high-quality, targeted and responsive briefings for Senior Management to support decision
• Good communication skills, oral and writing skills;
• Ability to draft high-quality media releases, speeches and correspondences;
• Strong program/project management skills;
• Project conceptualization, development and management;
• Strategic planning and organizational skills;
• Diplomacy and negotiation skills that demonstrate ability to collaborate and coordinate with a range of
stakeholders in the context of complex and shifting priorities.
B. Personal Abilities
• Strong leadership skills, as well as skills in facilitation, team building and coordination;
• Strong analytical skills and the ability to master new material quickly;
• Ability to take on additional responsibilities that are challenging and outside of tasks required;
• Demonstrate excellent Management and organizational and time management skills;
• Ability to Manage a team of professional staff, set priorities successfully, to work alone with other
professionals with minimal direction and supervision and ability to meet tight deadlines;
• Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to
C. Key Results Areas/Outputs
• Excellence in technical dialogue, strategic thinking, consensus building;
• Proficiency in project cycle management;
• Excellence in leadership as well as teamwork;
• Proficiency in policy development and analysis;
• Judgment and Decision-Making;
• Effective management of work of teams of professional, senior and experienced officers;
• Establishing and maintaining effective working relations with people of different national and cultural
backgrounds with respect for diversity.
1. Qualifications and Work Experience required:
A University Master’s Degree in Science and technology, or closely related fields, with twelve (12) years of
relevant progressive work experience in Science Technology and Innovation of which seven (7) years should
have been at managerial level, three (3) years should involve STI Policy Development.
OR a University Bachelor Degree in Science and technology, or closely related fields, with a minimum of fifteen
(15) years of relevant progressive work experience in Science Technology and Innovation of which five (5)
years should have been at managerial level, three (3) years should involve STI policy development.
Experience in assessing, monitoring, and evaluating development programmes;
International exposure and working harmoniously in multi-cultural environment.
Experience working with government organisations and international organisations should be an advantage.
2. Language Requirement:
Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese);
knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
3. Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
months will be considered a probationary period. Thereafter the contract shall be renewable every two years
subject to good performance and deliverables.
4. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
5. Least Representative Countries:
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola, Cape
Verde, Central African Rep. , Comoros, Congo (DRC), Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ghana,
Guinea, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Saharawi Arab D.R. , Sao Tome and Principe, Seychelles,
Somalia, South Africa and South Sudan .
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 46% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 26,208.00 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
no later than 11 November 2019.
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
4. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
5. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Regular (Long Duration)
Voir plus d'offres d'emploi
Cliquez ici pour vous connecter à votre compte ou créer un compte dans la CVthèque. Vous pourrez être contacté(e) par des recruteurs pour des postes ou des missions de consultants. Aussi, vous recevrez chaque jour des offres d'emploi. C'est gratuit.