cDiscussion.com, première plateforme d'offres d'emploi en Afrique de l'Ouest
Se Connecter / S'inscrire
Se Connecter / S'inscrire
HEAD OF DIVISION, EDUCATION
08/10/2019 à 17h39min53s
Bac + 3
Addis Ababa, Ethiopie
Humanitaire (ONG, Associations, ...), Projet/programme de développement
External Publication of Job Posting 50695979
Job Posting Title :
HEAD OF DIVISION, EDUCATION
Start Date :
End Date :
Reference Code :
10001523 / 03
Job Title :
HEAD OF DIVISION, EDUCATION
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located at Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver, by
amongst others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of all vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States to apply for the
position of Head of Division – Education within the Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology
in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Job title: Head of Division - Education
Post level: P5
Supervisor: Director HRST
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Number of Position: 1
2- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the general guidance of the Director, Human Resources, Science and Technology, the incumbent will
provide strategic advice and policy guidance to the Department’s work in the area of education and training,
directed at ensuring inclusion, relevance and quality of education for the achievement of the aspirations of the
African Union as articulated in Agenda 2063, through the implementation of the continental Policy frameworks.
She/he will support Member States in ensuring that education and training contribute towards a peaceful,
integrated and prosperous Africa that occupies an increasingly influential space in the global arena.
In this respect, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
• Ensure overall management of Education Division personnel
• Advice the department on matters of education policy, curricula, and standards
• Oversee the work of African Union technical agencies in the area of education, ensuring internal
coherence and adherence to continental policies
• Develop and oversee the implementation of mechanisms to enhance education quality, relevance and
• Spearhead the development of institutional linkages and policy mechanisms to promote regional
collaboration and integration in the areas of education, research and training
• Liaise with other departments to encourage harmonization and quality assurance of all programme
activities in education, training and research
• Provide policy support to strengthen alignment of regional education protocols
• Promote the development of high caliber human resources on the continent, including women,
especially in science, technology, mathematics and engineering
• Promote knowledge networks and expert mobility in Africa and the diaspora
• Network with regional and international organizations in the area of education and development for
mutual benefit, ensuring a strong African position
• Provide advice to Member States on realization of their continental and global commitments in
education, and regular reporting
• Mobilize and manage resources for the work of the Division
• Support capacity development and mentoring of Education staff, especially youth
• Ensure the production and submission of periodic reports on the activities of the Division
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by the Commission
• Act as Director for Human resources, Science and Technology
• Represent the department or the Commission in bi-lateral and multi-lateral engagements as instructed
• Support recruitment of officers and consultants in the Department
• Take decisions within existing guidelines
3- Required Skills and Competencies
- Ability to represent the department or the Commission to others and to identify potential for synergistic
- Project conceptualization, development and management;
- Strategic planning and organizational skills;
- Excellent written, oral and presentation skills
- Teamwork and ability to motivate team members towards a common objective
- Capacity for professional engagement with high level dignitaries
Key Results Areas/Outputs
- Excellence in technical dialogue, strategic thinking, consensus building
- Proficiency in project cycle management
- Excellence in leadership as well as teamwork
- Proficiency in policy development and analysis
- Judgment and Decision-Making
- Effective management of work of teams of professional, senior and experienced officers
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relations with people of different national and cultural
backgrounds with respect for diversity
1. Qualifications and Work Experience required:
A University Master’s Degree in Education Science, or closely related fields, with twelve (12) years of relevant
progressive work experience of which seven (7) years should have been at managerial level and should involve
classroom teaching or lecturing in school or University in Africa.
OR a University Bachelor Degree in Education Science, or closely related fields, with a minimum of fifteen (15)
years of relevant progressive work experience of which five (5) years should have been at managerial level and
should involve classroom teaching or lecturing in school or University in Africa.
Proven experience in assessing, monitoring, and evaluating development programmes;
Professional Training in education management and Training in Project Management should be an advantage.
2. Language Requirement:
Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese);
knowledge of other working languages would be an added advantage.
3. Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
months will be considered a probationary period. Thereafter the contract shall be renewable every two years
subject to good performance and deliverables.
4. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
5. Least Representative Countries:
Candidates from the following least represented countries are encouraged to apply: Algeria, Angola ,Cape
Verde ,Central African Rep. ,Comoros ,Congo (DRC) ,Egypt ,Equatorial Guinea ,Eritrea ,Eswatini ,Ghana ,
Guinea ,Libya ,Madagascar ,Mali ,Morocco ,Namibia ,Saharawi Arab D.R. , Sao Tome and Principe ,
Seychelles ,Somalia ,South Africa and South Sudan.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post
adjustment 46% of basic salary, Housing allowance $ 26,208.00 per annum and education allowance (100% of
tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00
per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally
How to apply
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
no later than 4 November 2019.
1. Attach detailed and updated curriculum vitae/resume including three (3) referees with good knowledge.
Of candidate’s work, please, provide referees’ contact details – telephone and e-mail addresses.
2. Copy of valid passport.
3. Certified copies of educational qualifications – degrees, diplomas and certificates, where applicable (Not
4. More than 5 Documents in PDF Format, and not exceeding 1 MB).
4. Please be aware that only complete applications will be considered.
5. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the
basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants
must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work
experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate
applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and
evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be
amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a
reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management
African Union Commission
Regular (Long Duration)
Voir plus d'offres d'emploi
Cliquez ici pour vous connecter à votre compte ou créer un compte dans la CVthèque. Vous pourrez être contacté(e) par des recruteurs pour des postes ou des missions de consultants. Aussi, vous recevrez chaque jour des offres d'emploi. C'est gratuit.