Do you want to be a part of a purpose-driven, values-led organization operating in one of the most important nerve centers of global trade? Do you wish to join a dynamic, dedicated and highly ambitious team in a challenging yet rewarding environment?
APMT Tangier is currently looking for an ambitious passionate and seasoned Chief Operations Officer with high interest in driving high standard Operational performance and join APM Terminals as a place to be.
The successful candidate will be part of a diverse, learning, competitive and professional organization, which offers real opportunities for personal development and in-depth insights into the hub operations model.
You will work closely with a professional team and will gain significant experience to further build career opportunities with the global organization.
Working hours: Administrative hours
Start date: as soon as possible.
Reporting to the Head of Med Hubs Portfolio, the COO is a key executive position who leads Hub terminal safe operations.
As our COO, you will provide leadership and have accountability for Operations, Technical functions and Lean for All Program of the terminal. You will assist with ongoing business development efforts and will drive focused priority-setting and decision-making and will be accountable for measuring and delivering results towards the strategic plan and desired outcomes.
Main responsibility will be ensuring the highest productivity and cost-efficient operation in a key hub terminal and providing excellent services to shipping lines as well as to end users, while sustaining a safe working environment.
The ideal candidate must be able to balance between the day to day focus and preparing for tomorrow through strategic thinking and a very sound business & commercial acumen, outstanding leadership and influencing skills. Strong passion for driving performance through people. Interpersonal relations skills and natural drive for seeking constant improvement are also vital for the role.
Your key accountabilities will be as the following:
- Provides leadership and direction for the hub operations.
- Establishes and implements current and long-range goals, objectives, plans and policies of hub operations.
- Ensures compliance with HSSE policies & procedures.
- Ensures cost leadership.
- Liaises closely with external operational stakeholders such as LOC, Port Authority, Trucking companies, Customs and ensure that smooth operations are delivered.
- Responsible for setting and achieving the budget for the functions within scope.
- Liaise with labor unions (where applicable) and on behalf of APMT take part in long-term contract negotiations with labor unions.
- Builds a strong team by attracting & retaining talent, leading, coaching, mentoring & supporting all direct reports.
- Ensure that the terminal-HOC collaboration and complementarity are reinforced and further developed for the best hub operation results.
- Provides leadership and guidance to the Lean for All program and the Operating System community.
- Ensures cross brand and supply chain facilitation to support other Maersk Group brands in the region/country.
- Develops and maintains a strongly engaged team at all levels within the organization.
- Drive PMPH through acceleration of vessel turnaround time and Idle time reduction.
- Lead and run gate operations while supporting end-users’ activities.
- Lead the AOP and Business Plan exercise and make sure actions are being implemented and gaps are closed.
We are looking for
Skills and Abilities Required in Position:
- Leadership : Ability to empower others to take action. Develops and inspires others to accomplish set goals & encourages high standards of performance. Commands attention and leads by personal example. Lead others through change and positively challenges all levels to alter behaviors and beliefs.
- Operational Management : Ability to anticipate, plan and organize providing structure & focus to continuously deliver the business unit KPIs.
- Creativity & Lean leadership : Promote new thinking and lean culture, encourage and drive improvement management process.
- Communication : Keeps people informed; shares knowledge, ideas and information openly within the organization. Facilitate open communication across functional departments and cultures. Able to influence a great variety of stakeholders towards a common Business benefit.
Experience/language skills required
- Preferably a university degree in logistics, maritime and port, or process/industrial engineering or a marine qualification.
- Post graduate studies in Port and/or Terminal Management, or related business studies.
- Minimum 10-12 years in operations management roles.
- At least 5 years senior management experience preferably in the shipping or terminal/port industry with a proven track record.
- Requires extensive and thorough knowledge of terminal operations for all types of cargo as well as marine operations, and the shipping and logistics management industry in general.
- Must be a strong communicator with a positive outlook as you will be working across functions and disciplines, the position requires excellent communication, cooperative and collaboration skills, as well as cultural awareness.
- Experience in finance related matters, setting budgets and supporting investment cases.
- Effective negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience in cost and productivity optimization through process optimization, as well as design and implementation of new operation procedures + Problem solving capabilities.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Fluent English is mandatory, French and Arabic are an advantage.